Thursday, July 5, 2007

Day 14: Madrid and Moors Influence in Spain

I'm back in Spain and ready to finish off the rest of my tour. I feel as if I already know this city since I was here the first two days of my trip.

On the bus ride from Seville to Madrid I have to chance to realize how much of an impact the Moors had on Spain. The Moorish culture brought some amazing art work and most of all the architecture of their buildings. The Cathedral in Cordoba was an excellent example of the Moorish culture. This Cathedral is now owned by the Christians who defeated the Moors in the conquest of Spain. Inside this marvelous structure are beautiful arched columns which are painted red and white with high ceilings.

While I was in Granada we also saw some Moorish influence at the Alhambra. This palace had beautiful gardens and the most exquisite tile work I have ever seen. The Moors seemed to be very smart peaceful people with great ideas and who were always ahead of there times.

Madrid!! Glad to be back! I can't believe our tour in winding down. I'm so ready to take this town by its horns and have the time of my life. Today we arrived in Principe Pio (west Madrid) which is a great location to be in especially since its our last week. Euro Pride starts this weekend and it has been one thing I’ve been looking for the whole trip. I can't wait to tell you all about it!

No comments: